Following a successful 2017 season that saw them win their second WWCFL Championship, the Regina Riot are searching for someone to fill the position of Head Coach. Why make a change after winning it all? Well, it all comes down to the situation that lead to 2017 Head Coach Olivier Eddie taking on the role back in February of this year.
Previously, head coaching duties had been handled by Shawn McCall. Coach McCall began with the team as Head Coach prior to the 2015 season, and that year lead the Riot to their first WWCFL Championship. He returned in 2016, but resigned from the position in February of 2017 for personal reasons. At that time, offensive coordinator Olivier Eddie was named as Interim Head Coach for the 2017 season. Eddie, of course, would then go on to lead the team to their 53 – 0 victory over the Calgary Rage in the league championship.
With the 2017 season complete and Eddie’s interim head coach role lifted, Riot administration has decided to proceed with an open call for all head coaching candidates. If you, or anyone you know, are interested in the position, the job posting is available below. The Riot are hoping to officially fill the position by September 1st, 2017.
Job Title: Head Football Coach
Reports to: General Manager
Starting Date: Tuesday, September 5th, 2017
Term End Date: July 31, 2018 (with possibility for extension)
*This is a volunteer position
The Head Football Coach is responsible for planning and directing conditioning, training, and performance of athletes for the Regina Riot football program. The Head Football Coach will also play a large role in athlete recruitment, though that is not their primary responsibility.
The Head Football Coach will direct a group of volunteers consisting of his assistant coaching staff, who have specific responsibility for offense, defense, linebackers, offensive/defensive line, quarterbacks, running backs, receivers, etc. This work may include coaching in outside areas, hot and cold weather, and exposure to elements such as rain, snow, dirt, fumes, and loud noises. The duties require moderate to active physical activity.
The Head Football Coach will report directly to the General Manager, but may also receive direct communication from the Board of Directors from time to time.
Examples of Duties
The following list provides an example of the most typical duties for this position. Not all duties listed may be necessary during the course of your term, nor does this list include all work that may be assigned.
- Direct assistant coaches in the overall planning and execution of the football program
- Recruit quality prospective athletes
- Monitor and maintain the discipline and conduct of athletes to support the image and reputation of the Regina Riot football program
- Plan coaching and practice sessions in accordance with WWCFL regulations
- Coach team members individually and in groups, demonstrate game techniques
- Develop and implement game strategy and position assignments
- Oversee the strength and conditioning program of athletes
- Promote the Regina Riot through community events, public speaking, fundraising, and marketing
- Ensure adherence to all Football Canada, Football Saskatchewan, and Western Women’s Canadian Football League rules by athletes and supporting staff
Minimum Qualifications Required
This position requires a minimum of 5 years football coaching experience at the high school level or above.
All interested candidates are asked to apply via email with a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than August 4, 2017.
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.